Archbishop William Gross
Archbishop William Gross

The train reaches the station of Mount Angel about 3 o’clock in the afternoon, and at the sound of the whistle of the locomotive, the bells of the distant monastery commenced to chime, cannons thundered the joyous salute from the “Butte,” and amidst the cheering of the assembled masses, His Grace alighted from the train. A procession then quickly formed, and headed by the Mount Angel Cornet band of fifteen skilled musicians, set in motion towards the monastery, about a mile distant from the station, and connected therewith by a fine wide plank road. After the band came a number of neatly arrayed school girls followed by a large number of ladies, then a large number of men, including the brethren of the order of St. Bene­dict in their sombre black gowns. His Grace the Most Reverend Archbishop and the Father Prior Adelhelm reclined in a carriage drawn by a magnificent span of horses, and the procession was con­cluded by the Rev. Father Wernherr in another carriage, and many citizens on foot, including Portland visitors.

— Report on the visit of Archbishop William Gross to Mount Angel Abbey –March 25, 1886